Thursday, January 17, 2008

Looking Back

LOOKING BACK (written may 2006)

The hot afternoon sun was at its peak. People pushed. Horns blared. Beggars besieged everywhere. Hawkers called out their wares. Heavy equipment locomotives dug up and down the earth producing deafening noise. A glance at the gigantic buildings that lined up the street gave away their age. It was an array of the ancient and modern. While some buildings retained the old architectural designs, others fronted modern day architecture in artistic designs. This is the present day scenario at the famous Marina Street on Lagos Island-the hallmark of the civilization of Nigeria in those good old days.

I felt disturbed with this change. You know, that sad, niggling feeling that you are going to miss something you are already used to (I always feel like this when a guest is leaving my house after spending just a few nights!).This is followed by the “not too sure” feeling of a replacement; call it “fear of the unknown”. You wonder how you will cope without! The bulldozers are sure doing a good job-there is no doubt about that. They are rebuilding Marina-repositioning it in the wake of the 21st century. But look at the feeling its’ evoking in me (and possibly a lot of others too)!

I let my mind drift and remembered so many things that have happened in the past. A look at school children going up and down the street reminded me of my own school days. Then all that mattered to me was my school assignments, friends and family. I didn’t have to bother about school fees, house rent, the next meal, clothes .all that was dad and mums’ business. I announced anything I needed and will never take no to any of my requests. Any negative answer/response will get me inconsolable.

You see what I mean? Now the reverse is the case. As a responsible adult and parent it now behooves on me to mother, wife, pay the bills, wash, cook console etc. Not only is that but am also saddled with the onerous task of decision making and taking responsibility for every action. Sleep is now a luxury .these kids don’t want to know .sometimes I wonder if it’s not better being a child. But I realize that being an adult has its own benefits too. I concluded that both roles are essentially crucial after all who does not like to grow? Monopoly kills. So what? I dare you to take a trip down memory lane. Relish it and still come back feeling good about where you are today!

amybest21@yahoo.com

No comments: